Edinburgh tourist information
Holyrood house located at the bottom end of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh is The Queen's official residence in Scotland. Originally Founded as a monastery
in 1128, the Palace of was closely associated with Scotland's turbulent past. Mary Queen of Scots lived here between 1561 and 1567. Successive kings and queens
have made the Palace of Holyroodhouse the premier royal residence in Scotland. Today, the Palace is the setting for State ceremonies and official entertaining.
Our Dynamic Earth
Our Dynamic Earth is one of Edinburgh's most exciting, "must see" attractions. Take a thrilling journey back in time and learn about our planet Earth
Getting to Our Dynamic Earth is easy. The building is situated in the heart of Edinburgh at the foot of Arthur's Seat, adjacent to the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the site of the new Scottish Parliament.
The Royal Mile
The Royal Mile is Edinburgh's most famous street. Starting at the bottom of the Royalmile are the following interesting buildings Holyrood House John Knox House Tron Kirk St. Giles' Cathedral to Edinburgh Castle at the top
Edinburgh Castle located high above the City of Edinburgh on an extnct volcano has had a commanding view over the city since 1085.
In front of the castle is the Castle Esplanade with an unrivalled view of the cobblestoned streets of the Old Town, and the bustling activity
of the city's financial sector, the New Town. The Esplanade is the location of the annual Edinburgh Tattoo that draws torists fromallover the world.
The Tron Kirk stands at the junction of North Bridge and The Royal Mile. It has been witness to many a Hogmany celebration at the Tron, traditionally the
gathering place of Edinburgh folk at New Year.
The High Kirk of Edinburgh, St. Giles' Cathedral, is generally regarded as the mother church of Presbyterianism. The Cathedral was officially consecrated
by the Bishop of St. Andrews in 1243, however its four massive central pillars date back to approximately 1120. The 'kerk werk'(old dialect for 'construction')of
St. Giles was largely funded by Merchant Guilds, ship dues and fines.
There cannot be many cities in the world where the foremost shopping street has an uninterrupted view of an historic, medieval castle due to retail outlets being built along one side of the street. But that is Edinburgh's Princes Street. In the more commercially minded city of Glasgow, there are some Philistines who think that Princes Street is only half built...
Princes Street was part of the "New Town" of Edinburgh, which was built in the latter half of the 18th century during the reign of the Hanoverian King George III. Princes Street was named after King George's sons but only after the King had objected to its original name St Giles Street, the patron saint of the city.
This description of Princes Street is divided into two sections the south side of the street which includes the gardens and castle and, on the second page, a quick tour of the retail outlets on the north side of the street.
The railway companies often built luxurious hotels beside their main stations and Waverley Station was no exception. Originally built as the North British Hotel, the renamed Balmoral Hotel is seen on the right of the picture above. Leading off Princes Street is the Waverley Bridge beside the station. Tour buses and buses to the airport leave from here.
At the corner of Waverley Bridge and Princes Street and beside the station is the Princes Mall. This is two and a half floors of small boutique shops and a food court selling fast food. Most of this building has been constructed under ground. On the top, is the main tourist information bureau where you can get advice about the city and book accommodation in Edinburgh.
The 200 feet high Sir Walter Scott Monument dominates this end of Princes Street. The stonework has blackened over the years and currently has a "piebald" effect from recent repairs. There are 287 steps to the top but the views from there of the Edinburgh skyline (if you can make it up all those stairs) are tremendous.
High above East Princes Street Gardens is the Bank of Scotland head office (which is lit up at night as the picture here shows). In order to ensure that nobody built in front of them, the Bank bought the land in front, part of which has become East Princes Street Gardens.
At the far end of the gardens, the water in the gilded Ross Fountain (pictured here) did not flow for many years but a joint project involving Edinburgh City Council and East of Scotland Water has got it going again with the water being recycled as required by current environmental regulations.
Just as Princes Street began with a former railway hotel, it ends with another one. This time it is the large, red sandstone structure of the Caledonian Hotel, visible on the left of the picture here. This is a favourite stopping off place for Sean Connery and many other celebrities.
Sightseeing Tours in or from Edingburgh
Flight Booking agents